Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tale As Old As Time...

Beauty & The Beast is a childhood classic and favorite. The new showing in 3D was SO worth the nine bucks it cost! When I was five, I had a small obsession with Beauty & The Beast. And by small, I mean HUGE!!! I had the raincoat, backpack, magic play mirror, nail polish, hair brush, barbie of both Beauty and the Beast (Which changed into the Prince :) T-shirts, shoes, socks, pajamas, hats, mittens, sheets, comforter.... You name it; I had it! It was my very favorite movie, and to some extent it still is.

The story is timeless! The animation, beautiful. The morals and values, somewhat questionable, but generally good. The best part of the re-showing in 3D? I got to watch it with my God-daughter who is five. She was able to see it on the big screen the same way I was when I was five. I LOVE that we were able to share that experience and have that special something in common.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101414/

The story of loss, love, and redemption touched me even more as an adult than as a child. I have to admit that I cried at the end when (Spoiler  Spoiler  Spoiler) the Beast is transformed into the Prince. The re-animation with 3D is superb on this scene by the way. The nine bucks was worth it right there! Another note-worthy scene is the opening, where the wooded meadow leading to the castle is shown. A-MAZ-ING!!!!

Violence, Sex, and Language:

There are a few scenes of violence. Nothing major, but reviewing this with children in mind, some scenes might not be appropriate. Gaston of course is rough and tumble, tossing people around and shoving his sidekick frequently. Several punches are thrown and many violence actions during the 'have fun storming the castle' scene. (Yes, yes I did throw a little Princess Bride in there!) Overall, it is comical and not scary in nature. There is also the scene at the end (Spoiler  Spoiler  Spoiler) when Gaston is trying to kill the beast. The beast get cut and is bleeding, and is stabbed from behind, again with bleeding. There is also a scene toward the beginning when the wolves attack him and he is bleeding.

Violence: 2 out of 5

Being a Disney movie for children, there really isn't anything sexual in this movie. I'd be pretty concerned if there was. Besides the overly exaggerated swooning of the blonde-headed triplets, there isn't anything akin to sexuality. Romance, yes. Sexuality, definitely not.

Sex: 0 out of 5

I cannot think of any possible damaging language with the exception of "fool", "idiot", and "loon". It's clean of any actual language, as a decent kids movie should be. Back in '91 Hollywood understood that. Hopefully they remember that soon.

Language: 0 out of 5

End Point: If you haven't seen this movie, you should. If you haven't seen it in 3D, you should jump at the chance, especially if you have a little gal in your life. You won't regret it, I promise. The timeless story is worth every penny. Have a great week,

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment